WOO HOO NEW WHO!!

Tuesday 6 April 2010

I'd hate to say "I told you so" but...

I told ya so! I told ya so! I told ya so!






*ahem*

It's been some time since that long long night months ago that I spent waiting, not on the edge of my seat, staring at my tv, laptop balanced keenly at my side, but waiting tables at the pub where I worked on a busy Saturday night hoping that someone anyone would text me and let me know just who the new Who was. When the Who!nerd inside me just wanted to watch the announcement show, the waitress I was paid to be was rushed and checking her phone constantly.

I had already been quite a fan of Matt Smith when the nation looked at his fresh young face and collectivly went "...huh?" Okay, so maybe no-one knew him then but he had in fact graced our screens several times before. Doctor Who fans may have seen him with Billie Piper in The Ruby In The Smoke, staring in the political comedy/drama Party Animals as a geeky young researcher and he appeared as Dan Twentyman the one-off crime drama, Moses Jones.



Weeks ago, I was having geeky discussions about what the eleventh Doctor would be like. OMG! Eleventh Doctor "The Eleventh Hour", I never noticed that before. And early on I decided he'd be quirky, dorky and altogether a little more oddball than Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant, our two modern Whos. Matt Smith makes a superb new Doctor. He's a delightfully pretty young thing... something new to stare at now the fangirls are mourning the great loss of the dashing, charming, Scottish and frankly wonderful David Tennant. You're never gonna see me complaining about a regular Saturday night helping of a pretty geek with floppy hair. (and a bow tie) Add to that, the stunning Amy Pond played by all but unknown Scottish beauty Karen Gillan and we've got something completely different to the Doctor and Rose and the Doctor and Donna.... we don't like to talk about Martha. The relationship between Eleven and Amy is something new. Amy, like Madame de Pompadour in the fourth episode of the second series "The Girl in the Fireplace", has know her raggedy Doctor since she was 12 years old and the Doctor himself has some kind of bond with her in that he let her down after making a promise to her. This is a link that the modern Doctors have not yet had with their companions.







Some more awesome. The quotes. How many quotable lines were in this episode?! From "fish custard" to "who da man!?" it was an utterly quotable episode. This new Doctor is full of random and amusing one-liners like "Jeff... get a girlfriend" that make me laugh out loud without the need to say the (disgusting) word "lol". Matt Smith's delivery gives the Doctor a little bit of new found innocence that comes with his youth and cute face.



What else is new with Who? The TARDIS for a start! The inside is largely the same but all of a sudden we have a misplaced swimming pool that used to be in the library. My first thought was "……WHUT!? (Actually my first thought was "hello wet Matt Smitt") but then I realised that this Doctor might be a little more house proud. Maybe every now and then he likes to have a quiet night in? Well, maybe not. But I have a feeling we'll be seeing a lot more of the inside of the TARDIS. Already I've heard rumours on the grapevine that we'll be seeing more rooms of the TARDIS, including the aforementioned library. And the redesign of the main area of the TARDIS! My inner geek ‘squeed’ with delight when I saw it for the first time. The redesign echoes the sci-fi sub-genre of Steampunk which I’m a huge fan of. Steampunk is a cross between Victorian exploration, space travel and a neon rave. Doctor Who often dip their tops into the genre such as with the clockwork robots in “The Girl in the Fireplace”. Steampunk is very rarely seen in mainstream film and television (examples are Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow and blah) and this new TARDIS is certainly a boost for the genre.



On the whole The Eleventh Hour was a strong start to the series, and with a primetime Saturday night slot and David Tennant’s Converses to fill, Stephen Moffat had a lot riding on him. With Russell T Davies gone from the show I think we’ll be seeing a whole new approach to the Doctor Who brand with hopefully a little less angst than Tennant’s stint as Doctor.



So, what did everyone think of the new Who? The papers seemed to like him, as did my facebook feed! Tell me your thoughts.

0 comments:

Post a Comment